Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mai Gai, Mai Moo, Mai SCREW- My Birthday and other Hysterics

So it has been a while since my last post, partly because of traveling and partly because I didn't have internet access for a while...oh and partly because of laziness....

SO last Monday, the 16th was my 25th Birthday....and honestly I thought it was going to come and go...no big deal. I wasn't much of a bday person anyway. Liked having dinner with some friends at some new restaurant in manhattan, some drinks and that's about it. And seeing as I was in Thailand, didn't think I would be doing anything too exciting.

Well my school didn't seem to have to same sentiments in regards to birthdays...not sure if its because
we are foreigners or if Thais make a really big deal out of Birthdays, but my birthday was quiet "Awesome". A week before my bday someone, one of my fav Thai teachers-Suriyah, asked me what I wanted for my bday...i kinda shrugged it off and said oh nothing, then she insisted...i jokingly said Salad. To my surprise, Suriyah showed up at school with a delightful salad buffet in my honor; lettuce, cucumbers, corn, pumpkin, chicken, onion, potato, BARLEY, amongst other things. oh and homemade salad dressing. it was Aroi Mak..(very delicious) I also had a cake, got some gifts from the other teachers and had ice cream sandwhiches. which was just that, ice cream on BREAD. Oh and the cake...apparently that is also a big deal in Thailand. Teachers missed some of their classes just to sing happy birthday and have cake...oh and lets not forget the fact that the candles on the cake NEEDED to be lit. In spite of my persistance that it was OK...someone ran out to get a lighter. it was hilarious...Nicki, Maddy and myself just had these looks of confusion on our faces for the entire day.

Later I had dinner with the foreign teachers at a restaurant that I liked, previous to my birthday. (never going there again!) i ordered food....was eating the said food...it had shrimp in it. i bit something...it felt like a bone. Shrimp do not have bones. I spit it out. dig. dig. dig. wtf?! is tha
t a SCREW...you know the metal thing used to fasten things together? Yes...that. It was in my food. (gotta get the pic from Sam) I called over the cook...pointed @ the screw and asked, "Ni Arai" (what is this) she replied "goong" (shrimp) I said, "no, NI!" (no, this!) she kinda chuckled and proceeded to put her hands in my plate of half eaten noodles to remove the screw, took it out, and walked away. Yea....imma let that marinate for a few.................yes. that really happened. all of us just looked at each other in amazement and laughed. now none of my meals can be bad, i nearly ate a screw!! Next time, Mai Gai, Mai Moo, Mai Screw!! (no chicken, no pork, no screw
!) LOL! only in Thailand!

The follo
wing day, Maddy, Nicki, Ally and myself packed ourselves up and headed to Chiang Mai for the rest of the week. Not sure why there was no school; we are never really sure of anything
at our school, but hey we had a few days off so we took advantage of it. We took a
n overnight train to Chiang Mai, 14 hours and flew back on Sunday. Chiang Mai was great....soooooo many foreigners...saw like 6 black people!!!! Met up with some of the CIEE teachers teaching out there... Had western food allll week. it was great. Went on a canopy tour in the trees....(really going out the box on this trip)....they tried to get me to hike...I went part of the way and decided...nah...imma chill out on this big rock by the waterfall for a bit. no me gusta hiking.
A lil note about Thais and their conception of Black People. Even though our President is BLACK....I dont understand why Thais seem to think that I'm not from America. I'm black so I must be from Africa. Our guide on the canopy tour asked all of us in a group, where are you from, I think Nicki said we're from America. He then turns to me and asks, and you, where are you from? wwwwtttffffff?!?! One tuk-tuk driver asked me so where are your friends from, I said WE are from America...he then said, and you're from Africa yes? How is Africa? I said...I wouldn't know, I've never been there, I'm from AMERICA! wtf! I'm just gonna tell them I'm from Japan. throw them all off, lol. Oh and one of the guides kept calling me Serena...you know as in Serena Williams. Smh...

0 comments:

Post a Comment