Friday, November 6, 2009

A FeW Days WORTH...ok Maybe a few weeks worth...


I have to get used to this blogging thing. I promise...from this day..atleast 2-3 entries per week...chaii (yes) I have been in Thailand for 3 weeks already! I cannot believe it. It has been fun but it also hasn't been easy. I have gone through a little bit of homesickness (mostly because I was tired of Rice & Noodles and
Reaaalllly missed my friends and Fam) But I'm ok (for now atleast).

What makes being here wonderful are my kids. I have 699 students! yes you heard...uh....read correctly...699! Yes it is a lot...and I know you are wondering...how do I remember 699 students' names. Well, I don't. though, I don't have to worry about that much; the students remember me. :) Monday of this week was when the new teachers were introduced to the school. There are 5 new teachers including myself. As we introduced ourselves, the students applauded. I must say, and the other teachers as well, my applause was grand; I felt like a rockstar. But hey what can I say, I'm kinda awesome. The kids must've just felt that vibe...you know? lol.

I have been teaching since last Wednesday, though I didn't teach on Monday and Tuesday because of the
Loy Kratong Festival and "state" exams. Loy Kratong is a The festival is held to pay homage to the goddess of rivers and waterways, Mae Nam. Thais make these floating things called Kratongs, made out of banana tree bark, banana leaves and flowers. I tried my hang at making on
e...didn't come out as well as the students' but then again they have been making these most of their lives! I did get a pleasant surprise from one of my students, she made me a Kratong. I felt very honoured :) All in all I love the students...haven't had any "naughty" ones...lol but Nicki has...we'll see how the semester goes. The children here have more respect for the teachers. When I enter the class, they all get up and say "good morning teacher!" and I say, "good morning class, how are you?" then they say, "fine thank you, and you" lol and I have to tell them to sit down or else they wont. And then at the end of class when the bell rings, there isn't a mad dash to the door, I have to dismiss them or they will not leave! ha...so different than at home.

This weekend I am going to Ayyutaya (most likely spelled incorrectly) I'm so xcited to see Heather and Claudia! I've missed them!

I am also trying to learn a bit of Thai so I can get around without miming or finding another creative way of describing what I want to say...now I know why kids who can't speak throw tantrums...because I know I feel like doing the same sometimes. Mai pen rai (my favourite Thai saying) meaning..its ok. it doesn't matter. This seems to be the motto of Thai people...they dont take things seriously. Don't work to hard. Don't worry. Just live life. Eat Rice and 5baht Chicken Kabobs. Might take this Thai lifestyle back home with me. Chai.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

three weeks later and 699 children.... were there multiples?? lol.Iam glad you are having a goood ole Thitime. Be safe. XOXO

Post a Comment